Live Track - Past 90 daysDistance Sailed to date - 15,383Nm
Download Email Maximum of 160 characters and you cannot include images, as this is a Short Message Service only. Download
Download our track Email us OffShore SMS us OffShore Download GoEast tracks

Saturday, July 8, 2017

60 Years a Wimp

The snorkeling around Gadji is sensational. All our cruising pals were donning their wet suits and raving about this reef and that. Blake, also known as young'n, was everyone's scout seeing as he dives all the time and usually with a spear gun. He can hold his breath for nearly 3 minutes, like a pearl diver, so there is not much he can't examine. An excellent guide.


I'd already paddled around the lagoon and seen some coral bommies with their resident multi-coloured fish. Curiosity trumped my aversion to getting wet. I was resolved to give it a go on the next group outing. I would finally wear the full length rash suit given to me by the agent who sold us the boat ...ahem, 9 years ago!

My maiden snorkel was supervised by The Bloke who was most supportive and came along in the dinghy to watch over my floating form. Oddly my heart wasn't racing and the reason for getting out of the water was that I'd become cold and nothing at all to do with needing to check my life insurance!


The group didn't rate our initial spot too highly so we left for one of the reefs outside the lagoon.

   

The following day the conditions were even better. The water was mirror calm and the water crystal clear, so we left the lagoon and snorkeled along a deep drop-off. On the sand on the bottom was a Leopard Shark which I was assured was a docile creature and confirmed when Blake swam down to it and tapped its dorsal fin. It just swam away.

The Bloke was once again our boatman and enjoyed the trip almost equally as he pretty much saw all the coral, clams and fish I was seeing without even getting wet!

With 2 really good experiences behind me with the help of supportive people I can stop being a wimp and enjoy some of our locations in a new dimension. It's never too late, even at 60!



And our day was then topped off with a lovely spangled sunset.

1 comment: