Live Track - Past 90 daysDistance Sailed to date - 15,383Nm
Download Email Maximum of 160 characters and you cannot include images, as this is a Short Message Service only. Download
Download our track Email us OffShore SMS us OffShore Download GoEast tracks

Monday, February 3, 2014

People on the move at The Duke


While I was at The Duke caravan park I was sitting outside the office and looking out to the petrol bowsers waiting for the washers to swirl their magic. It's so interesting watching all the movement and everyone going somewhere. A bit like sitting at an airport or train station. There was a guy on a motorbike towing a little trailer and promoting the Black Dog ride. He told me that he himself suffered depression but that his partner had suicided 3 years ago and he was going about and across the country talking to school kids etc. A most unlikely speaker actually, because he had quite slurred speech and didn't seem in any way educated. He was very authentic and very committed though.  Good on himfor spreading awareness. He's making his way to Alice Springs he told me, for a Black Dog riders muster.

Then there were the families getting packed up and returning home to get the kids into school on Monday. I spoke to a little fellow in the front passenger seat who told me he was going to begin school in a few days. So much anticipation! Do you remember the excitement? Oddly he had the most rotten teeth! You don't generally see 6 year olds with shitty teeth these days but I guess he's a rural kid who drinks rainwater and doesn't get fluoride. Dental treatment is also probably hard to get. Poor little chap. Dad covered in 'tattoo art'. Shame he didn't spend some of his cash on the kids teeth instead! ... Yes I know, a naughty value judgement from a Nanna.

A short time later there was another motorbike rider who pulled in for fuel. He had a very stripped down kind of rugged touring bike. It was quite different from the Black Dog riders bike. It had indigenous style dot art on it so it caught my eye.  He had a full kit of protective riding apparel on too like a Ninja Turtle. He was virtually wearing body armor. I asked him if he minded if I took a photo. He had been riding with friends through the Cape Le Grand National park down little tracks and places you couldn't go in a vehicle. I explained to him that I was sailing around Australia and how fascinated I was by the fact that everyone was going somewhere and there was so much purposeful movement. People were traveling about by every means imaginable. In return for his picture and time I was able to give him a weather update. 

A very stripped down Suzuki model. Notice you can easily check your fuel on the go.

No comments:

Post a Comment